You're a Feminist but are you really?

May 30, 2020

Me when someone says they're "feminists" only after sharing empowerment posts *looks at them suspiciously then politely smiles*

Everyone who knows me dearly knows that if I weren't a journalist, I'd probably be half way through my masters by now. What degree was I applying for? Other than English, I was eyeing, and actually leaning more on, Women and Development Studies: a continuation and formalization of the feminism I instilled as a kid until I grew older and learned along the way that it's more than just empowering women. For a period, I did want to teach gender studies and still do want to specialize in it after being inspired by my Literature profs and a feminism study I wrote back in college. I could be teaching future leaders and policymakers who will make the concrete differences we need.

So here I am today discussing how suddenly, everyone is a "feminist." Let's disregard for this discussion how there are still misogynists and sexists out there because yes, they are cancer but they won't be part of a point I'll make. We're talking about the so-called feminists which I feel, are just as toxic.

It's great to see everyone say "Let's empower women!" or "Feminism is for everyone!" because clearly, I do support those ideals. Women, in the long history of oppression that they experience, need to be pushed and supported to be the best they can be. And the rest of the people who say think it's cool to say they are into feminism because of "women empowerment" clearly need to realize it's more than just throwing that affirmation that you're on the side of women only.

So yes, I'll be the one to tell you that feminism is helping address the problems behind why women need the empowerment. Or at least recognizing them.

Because going deep into these issues, this is where I see many "feminists" get uncomfortable or worse: indifferent or ignorant.

Celebrating women is important. But that's not the focal point of feminism. We need to support each other and not just "vocalize" it.

I thought of writing this because it irks me that feminism is shown off like some sort of charity to empower women like you must be a saint or it's an attractive trait. Or feminism is a sudden aesthetic to garner likes and followers by showing bland empowerment quotes and women-centric art. People are starting pages, preaching ladies to be stronger and call themselves feminists but have no idea that "feminism" is more than just encouraging women. It's also not as simple as telling women to dress how we want because clothing is never an excuse, when we still have an environment of predators and sexism we need to eradicate.

Feminism is not only about saying to the world your outpouring support for women and gender equality. It's an agenda to push for fairness and justice for women and in many situations, that doesn't always mean to push for equality. Gender equality, for what it's worth, is a nice goal to attain. But if we gotta be academically specific because we surely have to be since I am discussing feminism after all, feminism is recognizing equity, above all. Simply put, equity is pushing for equality based on respective needs of both sexes. And as proven in past literature and reports, needs of women are never addressed and still have a long way to go before we achieve that parity.

Feminism is fighting for equal pay for equal amounts of work between men and women. Feminism is not allowing women to be belittled in doing what they can do.
But Feminism is also knowing that needs of women are not equal to that of men. It's respecting and fighting for our rights which in many cases, are not biologically the same as that of men's, like maternity needs and periods and the fact women are at more risks to other diseases than men.

Living by feminism is a check of what ideals you personally follow and the people you interact with. It disgusts me seeing girls especially, as much as I do appreciate their "women empowerment" slogans and banners that only concern on aesthetics and don't touch the real issues, still tolerate the kind of men and women in their circle who don't respect women or anyone in general. Who date men who are absolutely disgusting and disrespect and sexualizes females. Who pretty much don't care about the victims of abuse, rape, etc. Who ignore that women need treatment for trauma, depression. etc.

Because of course, the "feminist" in you aesthetic chasers think a slogan saying "YOU GO GIRL! " will solve everything. You get me here.

I have met many people who learn that I am a feminist (which I don't say) and the first thing they say is that I probably hate men and I think am better than men which is the usual misconception with feminism. But another misconception? It's simply siding with women, cheering them on when you have no idea on the issues and are indifferent to the reality.

People will read this and think maybe I'm raining on people's parade of girly photoshop skills on their empty "feminism" campaigns on Instagram and other social media.

There's a need to discuss the deeper context of feminism especially if we do aim to make everyone feminists. And that it's not okay to think people will be content by ONLY telling women to rise up and chase goals and do whatever the heck we want. It's never that simple. We have to also contribute for better conditions so we women won't fall back again. We have to educate others that it's never alright to bypass and violate our rights.

Yes, it's important to make women feel better about themselves but let's be more sustainable and longterm with our feminist goals.

So to the faux feminists who just use it for the image more than the ideology: LEAVE, BRUHA KA (As quoted by Sanchez, 2020)



About "Let's Discuss" in my blog

This series is aimed to bring into discussion (duh) about current issues that are multifaceted yet only spoke of through a binary. Issues that are not only black and white but have sensitive gray matter which is expansive, complicated, and often ignored.

You Might Also Like

0 comments