What to do with Fear (Poem)

May 16, 2020



I remember I wrote this poem earlier this year, during a seemingly rocky day. Horrid days weren't constant, but I did experience it a few times, a few more than the zero I expected. This was before the quarantine to contain the virus and I remember being much more afraid of losing whatever mattered to me then.

Apparently, here I am some months later. I learned that I needed to look at fear in the eye and accept that fear won't let me keep everything I once valued. I foresaw loss and nothing is worse than when fear overpowered me and whatever I feared came true.

Fear will rock me, shake me until I'm made stronger.

I did gain strength to take charge and walk away from everything I formerly was fearful to lose when I finally was strong enough to accept the pain from my past; snip the agony of the present; and forego the anxiety over the future. Of course, I had to let go of what I wanted to get rid of anyway, like the past pain and future anxiety, but I also had to lose also someone at the present (at least, at the time I wrote this poem) who I wanted to keep so much but I knew it's better to release.

Everything I experienced made way for better things to look forward to despite these trying times of the virus: a much more resilient mind; a new interest; and more time to work on even bigger goals. Who would have known fear would lead to good things?

(Also to my students who remember the figures of speech I taught to them, yes, Fear is used in a Personification way!)

"Fear" by yours truly 



About the QUARANTINE SERIES

These are a series of posts that discuss mental health, deep thoughts, and random experiences during my time in the quarantine. Details of my battles and my triumphs written like how I write it--with honesty and a little insight.

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

    Frank Herbert, Dune

    ReplyDelete