Anong Gagawin Mo Para Sa Bayan?

November 23, 2018

Note: I just realized that it's almost Bonifacio Day, Nov. 30. Andres Bonifacio: a man known as the Father of Philippine Revolution. Though painted as a barefooted Katipunero, he was actually a middle-class Filipino who even worked for a British firm. Thanks to my history classes, I learned that most members of the Katipunan are actually white-collared workers. This fascinates me because in my past posts, I've always been intrigued with Illustrados which is a group of educated men who ended up playing a part in the Philippines' independence. I just thought of writing this post out of the blue because I realize that we can be modern-day Illustrados/Katipuneros especially in this age where our country needs us.


I've been privileged enough to study in one of the best and darn expensive universities in the Philippines. Yet, privilege for me is a term I used with caution because of course, I'm not from an affluent background and like every scholar, one wrong move with acads would entail me to lose that dream of college forever since this is as close for me in having a tertiary education my struggling family could never afford. You can say that my privilege is not totally presented in a silver platter like most but it is given as some sort of deal I have to live with or else.

Privileged is the impression I get from people upon them knowing I'm an aluma of DLSU. Along the lines with privileged is the word "Advantage" and with that advantage, they say I've already got a step ahead in terms of career opportunities in the real world just because of the school I came from.

While I was studying, I've met many people who've had the mindset that being in an exclusive school is an investment because it boosts one's employability in the real world higher than the average Filipino. I see where they come from, to be honest; I've also had the same teachers with them who have instilled this mindset of of being the best in your field. I've had people, teachers and students alike, share to me how people they know who are also Archers have had successful executive positions abroad or are earning 6 digit salaries.

Meanwhile, Philippines at the moment is pretty much a circus: we have a misogynistic president who curses at most important world leaders; we have literally dissected ourselves to China and allowed them to take over us; we have an incredibly fast rising inflation rate compared to years past; we have officials who are pretty much the biggest cartel of all; we have seen a rigodon amongst officials being appointed to the government; we have a questionable justice system which favors the rich and wealthy; we have the worst traffic in the world and which one hour is just the bare minimum in order to go to your destination; and awfully so much more shit the Philippines has become.

Right now, opportunities outside the country seem more promising. That 532 pesos minimum wage we earn a day in Manila? That's how much you can earn an hour abroad and heck, even more! That puff of black smoke that seems to envelope cramped cities? You'll breathe fresher air outside the Philippines? It's easier to look outside the Philippines for better opportunities and it's even more tempting that with the degree I have, it could easily take me out of the poverty-stricken country most people complain as their home.

It saddens me how higher education has generally sort of trained us to be the best employees or CEOs but yet, has barely touched on the idea that we have the advantage to change the Philippines. We have the guns and tools to make the country better. It will take time and participation but it's not impossible!

Many times, people tell me with my education background I can easily earn a million bucks a year as a teacher abroad. I simply tell them, "Why leave when we need the teachers here?" For a country with millions of fresh Eduk grads a year and tens of thousands who take the board exam for teachers, we sure do not value educators nor give enough opportunities. I find it weird how there is so much demand and and equally many supply for teachers yet only so much could be matched with a job. 

On another note, while unemployment rates are down, underemployment has fluctuated this year, from high to low to high in the past three quarters, respectively, according to PSA data. This information is out there and yet, how are we doing anything about this? Are we conducting seminars to boost employability? Are we paying workers enough? I have written and read news about how both the public and private sectors are doing something to address underemployment but what happens after then? Why are we still in that level where most have jobs but these jobs are not sufficient for workers' needs and skills?

Back to college education now:

During my stay in college, what resonated me the most was how I had professors who do show me that we are beyond what we pay for tuition or the education we receive as a return or are much more than the multinational companies who employ us. It's about giving back to society and ultimately, do what we can to make this place better for everyone. We already have all unimaginable events presenting themselves the past years to us youth who are old enough to perceive them yet are still being molded to our true purpose in the future. Maybe with our education as our advantage and our knowledge to what is happening around, we can make the Philippines the best country it deserves to be.

It is emphasized how with a great educational background, we can break away from being part of the demographic of struggling Filipinos. Yet, for me, how is this going to make life any better for everyone? I still pay for high prices of goods except I can afford it but that doesn't erase the fact that there are few of me who can willingly spend a little more on rice but thousands will line up for bukbok rice. Or there are millions suffering high prices of goods so they are starving and dying? Or taxes that could afford benefits and rights Filipinos are entitled to such as free healthcare or even better roads or more classrooms are just finding their way in politicians' pockets?

What Filipino will allow that, really? I'm just as disgusted at citizens who are indifferent to this as much as I'm frustrated with the wonky officials allowing this mess.

And there's our bloody government--literally and figuratively. Truth be told, I see officials who are sincere and honest in serving their purpose to people but I am not blind to those who aren't. I doubt anyone will speak out or do anything about it til the next generation takes over the country. And I'm proud to say that we are all here, fresh into the real world doing what we can to contribute to this country. Gathering lessons and gaining experience; we're just fine-tuning before we get ready for the real challenge.

After all, we are all part of this country who needs all the push it could get to become greater.

Dear student/youth who happened to be privileged enough to study in university, anong gagawin mo para sa bayan?

You Might Also Like

0 comments