Okay Mag-Ukay: A No-BS Guide to Ukay-Ukay Shopping!!!

October 06, 2017

LET'S TAKE A BREAK FROM MY LITERARY ESCAPADES AND TALK ABOUT MY OTHER PASSION...

Yes, this cover-up is just as affordable as my ice cream cone.
My love affair with ukays started when I was grade school. Though I was initially banned from buying clothes from ukays for whatever reason("DI MO ALAM KUNG SAAN GALING YAN!" "MALAS GUMAMIT NG GAMIT NA!" "THE CLOTHES ARE DIRTY!" "YOU'LL GET A RASH!" Ahh, my parents.), I was always fascinated with the idea of vintage. I'd watch and read about stylish people going to vintage stores and although ukay-ukays are WAY DIFFERENT from what I expected in its Western counterparts, I still dreamt of purchasing good finds someday. 😊

In highschool, I was able to check out a famous ukay in Pateros. This really got me excited and deepened my love for ukays! I was able to find a classic LBD for 50 pesos. Though I rarely go to ukays then, the few times I did were memorable just as my purchases were. From going rarely in highschool, I went to ukays more often in college. Being in a school that doesn't require a uniform, I find myself having to wear my usual clothes way more than I should. Every once in a while, I'd buy a whole new wardrobe from the ukay. I get more compliments on my ukay pieces than my mall-bought stuff! 💖💖💖

I've been asked by some friends on where is the best ukay or what are some tips to find the best deals. Think of the ukay-ukay experience as if you're in an Indiana Jones movie--except you don't hear action instrumentals nor Forever 21-esque music but odd country music in an undetectable local dialect. Basta! Kakaiba! So here are some things I live by whenever I ukay. 😁

1. First, BUDGET!

It is important to put a ceiling in how much you want to purchase. It's easy to spend a lot on crazy discounted stuff or maybe splurge on the full-priced new arrivals. We do not want another clinically diagnosed shopaholic! Maawa ka sa wallet mo at sa closet space mo! I've learned this the hard way, trust me. 💸💸💸

2. Know what ukays to avoid.

I don't believe there is a bad ukay since you will never know when that one perfect piece is waiting for you but I normally steer-clear from those ukays that NEVER(well, maybe never is too much but RARELY)go on sale. Yes! There are those ukays like this one ukay I normally pass by for years in Bicutan and only once in my life have I seen their pieces drop to less than 100 pesos. GRABE KAPITALISMO NILA, CHAR. Ukay-ukays in Harrison Plaza also don't easily go on sale but I tolerate them at times because once they do, you get good deals and their selections are usually great.

Another ukay I typically avoid but browse in caution if I have to are those ukays that sell mostly basic shirts and bottoms. Alam mo yung tipong Surplus Shop that sells mostly Abercrombie, American Eagle Outfitters or Aeropostale stuff but just rattier, dirtier and mustier? Not unless kailangan mo ng bagong pambahay or have a kilo of Tide to wash the dust out, I suggest not wasting your time. Also, these ukays smell the worst and I really do not know why.

3. Browse the cheaper racks first!

Some of the ukays I frequent have some racks of clothes that go as low as 10, 15, 20 pesos each. In most ukays, the cheapest racks would be the 3 for 100 ones or the 50 pesos each ones. Basta, unahin niyo ang mura! From there, you can proceed to the more pricier(but not as pricey as the mall)items. Since there will be racks and racks, it will exercise your patience! And you will need it because duh, you are reading this and wanna ukay probably.

4. Know the worth of the item.

Just like you should know your worth! Chos! (But not chos! Totoo! Love thyself, mga lodi ✌) Anyways, always, always know the item's worth. That is when you will now if what you bought is a steal or nah. Learn how to feel fabrics or check the item's brand. Check the item's tags, too! You might be spending more on maintaining the clothes than purchasing the item itself and if you're alright with that, bahala ka(I'm guilty of this lol).

As for brands, you'll be lucky to pick up the more branded stuff if you can look well but beware: some ukays price them higher than they're meant to be! I once saw this H&M dress in the ukay that sold for hundreds of pesos. A friend of mine had that same exact dress and bought it at that price from the H&M store. Ang daya, diba? But! When you do find that item that is cheaper than its actual worth, GET IT, AND RUN AWAY! Ay este, BAYAD KA MUNA, OF COURSE! 😆 (No to shoplifiting! Lumelevel up ibang ukay kasi may mga CCTV na sila! At sabi sa 10 Commandments Huwag Magnakaw! Puso lang pwede! 💁). I was able to buy Alexander Wang Frida booties for 400 pesos when its original price is $$$$ in Net-A-Porter(and I hear AW doesn't sell it anymore). Bongga, diba? 💯

5. Learn how to peruse the item for damage and stains. (Pag di mo alam ang peruse, GMG!!!)

This should fall under the item's worth but I decided to put it in a separate number instead. Ideally, you wouldn't want to buy something with a stain. It is convenient though to learn how to discern stains that are removable in case you see something you really want! I was able to score that famous Zara wide-strapped tank top in white before but it was filthy with brown stains! Brown stains are tricky because they could either be easily washable brown dirt marks or unfortunately, the indestructible wood or rust stains. It's really a gamble to still stick with something(or someone)you love! Charot! Some stains to look out for:

  • sweat stains(EWW! HAVE RESPECT FOR YOURSELF AND GE RID OF THAT THANG!),
  • makeup stains (Baka the person tried on the item before you and her foundation and lipstick are not transfer-proof. Pabigyan mo nalang, not the clothing's fault!)
  • Paint marks (Not unless ganun talaga ang style niyan na tinalsikan ng pintura but nonethless maybe the former owner was a frustrated painter who needed to sell clothes for food)
  • Ink stains or stains that you just know will never, ever get away--like your feelings! #Hugoat

For damage, you should be aware of some rips and tears. Torn stuff are unfixable. A damage that is fixable, though, are loose hems whose seams need to be taken up. You can ask a tailor to sew it for not more than 50 bucks or utilize your home economics education by repairing it yourself #IkawLangSapatNa

6. More than knowing what is fixable, know what's workable as well.

Maybe you super duper like those pair of pants that fit well around your waist and butt except they are just way too long for you or maybe they're too flared for your taste. You can take them to the tailor, you know! I purchased these Levi's jeans and they were super bootcut. I just asked the neighborhood tailor to alter them in a baston(tapered leg) cut and voila! These ultra flattering mom jeans! (Yes I know, super paradoxical sentence. Mom jeans are never flattering but whatever these look good on me oh yeah haute momma 👯). Same goes for tops! I've altered some really wide tops so they can fit me better. Normally I'd only do this to clothing I really like but other than that, I won't buy what won't fit me.

7. ...But learn to let go, as well.

Just like your bulok love life! *badum tsss* Seriously, ukay shopping can be heartbreaking. I've experienced seeing shoes that look gorgeous but they don't fit me since ukays, I notice, seem to be a haven for size 5 shoes. 😕I also rarely buy pants from the ukay because pants are either too darn big or just too damn tight. One of the most terrible things you can experience in the ukay is seeing a cool piece of clothing but they don't look good on as much as it looks good in the hanger. It's one of life's greatest scams but at least you get to save your money from something that doesn't look bagay on you. No more heartbreak!!! Philippine politics is already too much to handle, unflattering clothes pa kaya? 💔

8. Know some hacks in case there are no dressing rooms.

Your lola is right; in a pinch, you can tell if bottoms fit you by wrapping the waistband around your neck. You can also measure a blouse's sleeves to the length of your arm to see if it is too long or not. As much as possible though, do fit your clothes in the store whenever they have dressing rooms because I personally do not rely on these hacks. Sure, it fits in the waist but what if those pants fit oddly in the leg area? Or that long sleeved polo looks lousy even if the sleeve length isn't too long? It will spare you from bad purchases whenever you try it first in the fitting room. You'd rather have something you can wear no matter how cheap it is! 😊

9. Remove your disgust and doubts and search the unusual racks and boxes...

If there is a children's section, check it out! I bought a piña jacket from the kid's section of the ukay for a mere 25 pesos! Some large ukays have boxes filled to the brim with accessories. Don't be afraid to browse those, too! I've bought beautiful scarves for 25 pesos after unearthing them from the dusty boxes. Also, if you are adventurous try looking in the underwear racks din! One thing I'd never buy are panties(but then NEVER SAY NEVER CHAROT)but I did buy some lingerie in the ukay before and they were branded ones at that--probably my favorite was a La Perla bralette I had for 70 pesos! Just learn to wash them carefully. 😃


Some ~~Irrelevant~~ tips just because 

10. Never Haggle

I know, I'm saying the opposite of what others say. Maybe because from personal experience, whenever I make tawad for a shirt or skirt it is always met with a "DI PWIDI LAST FRICE NA YAN." (Frice? Watdapak? Pagkaen? Pagkaen, besh?). Be like me and avoid rejection because life is already hard in itself. 😂(Although I suggest you try making tawad with higher priced items like shoes or bags and whenever you buy a lot of clothes).

11. Bring alcohol

Isopropyl one for sanitizing your hands and champagne for a job well done lol joke lang! (But bacteria isn't a joke, though. To prevent sickness, sanitize your hands always).👌


Now for the question many ask: WHERE DO I GO UKAY?

To be honest, I go everywhere. I tend to frequent the ones below the EDSA station of the LRT because I pass by them a lot when I commute. Pateros has this really old ukay that has been there ever since and I like going there once in a while. I've gone to Libertad to check the ukays lined up there. I also dropped by the famous Anonas area and it's a goldmine. Harrison Plaza has some great ukays, too! The best ukay for me, though is this one store I only went to once in QC area. I remember going there and getting crazy because there are so much great stuff. I'm not sure if it is still there nor do I know its exact address. I have yet to go to the Baguio and Tagaytay ones but someday I definitely will.

I hope my tips will help you all in your ukay adventures! Below are some of my ukay-ukay purchases through the years:

My first ever ukay purchase! It took me 6 years before I first wore it, though.


The 45 peso loose black dress is used as a kimono(super uso in 2015 lol). I forgot how much that top was and my skirt was 50-60 pesos. Yes, head to toe(or above the knee lol)ukay.

A Uniqlo plaid flannel dress I scored for 70 bucks. Mas mahal pa ang Chickenjoy...
I bought this skirt back in highschool and I really loved its Aurdrey Hepburn-Roman Holiday vibe. It was 55 pesos, I think!
"Like, chyeah! Like, this #OOTD was from the ukay! This shirt? So cute! It's only 50! And this skirt? I know! Only a 100 bucks! I know, I'm a great bargain hunter like whatevahhh!" 
Dress: 45 pesos. Class: I was born with it. Cheret!


These eyes be checking out my 50 peso kumot este poncho lol
Rat tails look good on a tux, not on your hair! Eww! One of my favorite finds is this tuxedo jacket for 120 pesos.
These are the Levi's I bought for 180 pesos and altered into a baston fit. 
My most recent purchase. This top is just as cheap as your bus fare: 15 pesos! Lakad ka nalang! 
Other recent purchases: This midriff(a Hanes sportbra, to be exact)I got for 20 pesos. The highwaisted pants are 35 pesos. O ayan may pang clubbing na ako! 
I was excited when I bought these Jordache shorts last year(?) for 50 pesos! Tried them on and I realize I'm not Kendall Jenner lol
Another LBD that took me years before I finally wore it! Bought it back in highschool for 120 pesos. 
This jacket is made of fur faker than your fake friends and cheaper than his cheap hoe for 20 bucks! 

The jacket that launched a thousand compliments! My highschool self bought this for 160 pesos which I considered pricey then but I got so much use of it in college. The best part also is IT ISN'T LEATHER #NoAnimalsWereHurt #PeroIkawHurtPaRin #LooksLikeLeatherButFeelsLikeFeathers #WalangKwentangHashtagsMuch

A 25 peso piña jacket with capiz-like buttons I got from the kid's section! It was timely when I bought it because I wore it to this Filipiniana-themed event. #Tadhana

Hope all these shameless tips and even more shameless photos will encourage you to discover the world that is UK--not United Kingdom, but UKAY-UKAY! *plays the odd country ukay-ukay music* 😃

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good day, Ms. Gill Cortez! I am Zyra Abellar, a Grade 12 student from Philippine Science High School - Western Visayas in Iloilo. I have read your blog, and I admire your passion and enthusiasm for thrift shops. I am a huge fan of that as well, so as part of our requirements for English 6 we have to deliver a 5-minute speech about a topic of interest and I chose to talk about thrift shops around my city (Iloilo City). My speech aims to instruct students in the lower year levels who are interested to go thrift shopping where to find ukay-ukay­ clothes, bags, and shoes that fit their style, and how to purchase it in the cheapest price possible.

    My English 6 teacher also requires us to consult with an expert on the field, and basing on your long years of experience, I believe that you are more than qualified to be a thrift shop expert. I am hoping to ask for comments and suggestions that you have on the SPEECH OUTLINE that I will send as soon as you signify your approval on my request. Hoping for your positive response. In any case, thank you very much!

    Sincerely yours,

    Zyra B. Abellar
    Philippine Science High School - Western Visayas

    ReplyDelete