Coffee-Scented Lipstick? Why this Lipstick is Worth the Buzz

June 20, 2020

It's been a while since I wrote a review on my blog! And get ready to be sick of my face!



I love liquid lipsticks that last like cement on my lips (like my favorite Maybelline Superstay Matte Lip Ink) but I appreciated velvet formulas ever since I tried on the Sunnies Face Lip Dip! It' so cushiony and smooth that I can't stop pressing my lips together to feel that silicone slip! I like the idea of creamy and plush, cloud like formulas like that of the Lip Dip.

I definitely have some expectations towards Happy Skin which has a similar moussey formula.

So enter ...

HAPPY SKIN LIP MALLOW PLUSH MATTE LIP MOUSSE - COFFEE EDITION
(HABA NG  NAME)




When the Happy Skin Lip Mallow first came out earlier this year, I've always been meaning to try them but it simply slipped my mind since I was trying to cut back on buying lipsticks (which I own so much of already). 

Also, I did find it pricey. I never spend more than 350 on lipsticks and the more expensive ones I own were given as gifts. 

Months later, the line launched a COFFEE EDITION with shades inspired by our favorite coffee shop picks. I absolutely adore Johnreyslife and when she uploaded like literally within hours her review of the collection (watch HERE), I was super sold! Even if she was the first one to review it and was the only person to have that review, I still rushed to go on and order it online! Normally I'll have to ponder for days and watch more reviews to be convinced

I had to cancel my first order because the next day, I only noticed Happy Skin offered these combo sets with the free leather pouch and  picked up the set with both shades I was eyeing, Fresh Brew and Cinnamon. The Lip Mallow retails for P549 each and the set of two is P1098. They have a set where you can buy all the colors for P3K plus have a free cute coffee tumbler!

Cinnamon on top, Fresh Brew below


Johnrey said Fresh Brew is the proudest shade she developed out of the line, which definitely became the color I'm interested in the most. She said the inspiration for Fresh Brew is Charlotte Tilbury's famous Pillow Talk lipstick which if I can't spend 350, THE HELL I WON'T SPEND MORE THAN 1K! But a pale nudey pink has been a color that has allured me which in most cases, I have to mix lipsticks to create the perfect, pwede nang Pillow Talk color since lipsticks that look like it in the market come out pinker or peachier. In person, Fresh Brew is a bit warmer and browner than how it looks on me in pictures which the camera washes it out a little and makes it taupe.

Fresh Brew is the shade I was interested in the most and definitely a #JohnreyMadeMeBuyThis

For Cinnamon, I think it's a change from the more browner colors I'm much more attracted too. The other pinker shade, Chai Latte (which is also one of my fave coffee drinks), looked nice for me but Cinnamon is a light rosy brown color that won't compete with most makeup looks. It's also a bit pinker in actual. Even if I love Fresh Brew, I see myself reaching for Cinnamon much more because it's that shade that perks (wew coffee pun)the face up with the right amount of rose but still is neutral enough to be a nude brown.


In pictures, the colors seem to look very similar but in person the shades and tones are different. Here's a comparison photo, although I feel like it's not enough to show the true uniqueness of both shades from each other like how they are in actual.

Cinnamon is pinker while Fresh Brew is much more neutral

What I first did the moment I opened the lipstick was SMELL IT. AND IT'S TRUE: IT DOES SMELL LIKE COFFEE. Not exactly like your fave Starbucks drink or 3in1 mix, but it smells like XO Coffee Candy. It's a mild, sweet coffee scent which is due to the Coffee Arabica Seed Oil which is meant to moisturize lips. I noticed it had no fragrance listed in the ingredients which is great if you're wary of that.

The feel of the lipsticks for me is actually the opposite of what real beauty influencers say about this formula. At first, it feels smooth but thinner than the Sunnies which already feels like a cloud for me the moment the applicator touches my lips. I think it's due to the smaller tip of Happy Skin and the stopper. But the more you build the lipstick, the more slip and smoothness I feel. 

What's nice about this formula is it sits nicely on my lips. Any other lipstick, including the Sunnies Face Lip Dip, will always make their presence known on my lips even if others claim to be lightweight. The Lip Mallow feels feather light; I know I have lipstick because duh I just put on lipstick but its texture is just so weightless, it can fool me that I don't have anything.

I say these are worth trying especially if you want to support local and are willing to spend a bit more for a quality formula with somewhat fancy ingredients. I think the amount is too little but at least it's something I can finish easily before it expires.

I already ordered another Lip Mallow from their initial line because I do love the formula! If you're asking me if it's worth collecting, maybe if you're into it and you love the whole line. Personally, I just want to be practical and buy shades I think I will use more often AND ones that don't look like the ones I already have. 

I have so much more lipsticks I need to use but these Lip Mallows will definitely be one of the more well-loved for me.


Mixed both shades here and I love how it gets deeper and browner the more it wears before it disappears from my lips.

You Might Also Like

0 comments