The Nightmare is the Dream

May 11, 2017


I mentioned in my last post that HOCUS' "La Pesadilla"(The Nightmare) became my favorite painting in the exhibit--and of all time(for now). If you want to get  a good look of it as a whole, it is a painting that consist of three canvasses that each depict a certain theme. The left is the evil, the right is the good, and the middle is the Philippines in merciless chaos.

Contrary to what most would initially think, "The Nightmare" isn't mainly depicting what seems to be Armageddon. It's is, rather, a highly dramatized interpretation of the artists towards the colonial Filipino. That is how I see, though but feel free to tell me your ideas of this painting!


I wish I could own this painting someday. It's such a showstopper; a statement. It's even more breathtaking in person. Now, I'll discuss about my favorite details of the painting.



A close look at the Good side(bottom) in comparison with the Walking Dead-ish vibe of the Evil side(top). Bakit puro lalake sa good at puro babae naman sa bad? Hmm....(Joke lang lol)


This was in the upper right corner of the "Good" side. Notice that some of the angels have a "Salakot" like hat? I could be overanalyzing since some angels are depicted to wear helmets like that. BUT LOOK AT WHAT SEEMS TO BE STREAMS OF THE PHILIPPINE FLAG'S COLORS ON THE VERY UPPER SIDE!


Three crosses stand afoot of what I call the hill of death(look at that huge skull!). Reminiscent of  Christ's crucifixion yet how come he isn't in his cross?


A child holding up a candle meant to be given to the cross. It symbolizes hope but I think he a little cray for not noticing what is around him. Also, I appreciate how so many of the skeletons in the photo are given detail no mater how tiny they are.


One of the more interesting details just because it took a while for me to read the underlying meaning. The HOCUS exhibit has some books around that explain each of the paintings and according to it, the letters actually spell out "Historia" and the person refuses to go into it which is crucial if you want to make a better future.



Manananggals gorging on the flesh of this poor guy. One of my favorite details of the painting just cause cool lang and gory.


A kapre playing a harp. I appreciate paradoxes like this where a demonic figure is seen with what we usually associate with angels. (AND CAN WE DISCUSS JUST HOW FINELY DETAILED THE SKELETONS ARE IN THE PAINTING? GALING)


Now, here's a detail that definitely hits a chord. All bloodshed aside, notice the little crabs all over the dead bodies? According to HOCUS, it shows how Filipinos are guilty of crab mentality. 

So, with a painting like this will it ever make Filipinos realize how we're slowly(if not, already)at this point of mess? Maybe, maybe not. "La Pesadilla" is a haunting, eerie painting which only seems so not only of the abundance of blood and gore but because it could be an implication that there is something up with society today--more than a century after the Spanish regime left the Philippines

You Might Also Like

0 comments