"I'm a Survivor of Many Things"(A Poem)

October 29, 2017

Note: In remembrance of October being Mental Health Awareness Month, I want to post entries here on my blog about the dark and private aspects of my personal mental struggles. Normally, I don't like openly discussing my own trials with depression or past abuses but I want to shed light so people can have the courage to speak up and triumph over them. Some of these posts were written ages ago but weren't posted immediately for fear of being seen a different way. Regardless of my experiences and diagnosis, I am strong and brave. I may be messed up and messed around but I will not give anyone--especially myself, my own worst enemy--the license to mess with my life. 

First post to this series is in this link: http://agillandaway.blogspot.com/2017/10/im-speaking-out-in-time-of-harvey.html


Second Post to this series: http://agillandaway.blogspot.com/2017/10/being-confident-with-my-face-and-body.html





This month, I wanted to go back again to the world of spoken word open mics. Normally, in these places I'd normally recite my most "hugot" of pieces that would normally stir the crowd. Recently, as I've become a bit more open about my struggles I decided to post a poem I would have performed had some unfortunate circumstances happened on the actual event(like *coughs* organizers *cough cough*). This first one of three pieces I would've performed this month(the other two maybe I'd post when I have the strength to do so since they are pretty long and personal spoken word pieces as opposed to this which is just a short and sweet one)is about overcoming depression even if I still have it. It's chronic, after all but like what my counselor says, we learn to manage it so we can still live our lives meaningfully.


"I'm a Survivor of Many Things"


You Might Also Like

0 comments