Gill Recommends: Music I'm Currently Loving

November 20, 2017

An overly dramatic dramatization of how I look and feel when I listen to great music. Pic by Lance Cortez
Last I made a post similar to this was years ago! I used to love making entries about music I currently like. I remember back when I was in high scool, I would review music of indie or non-mainstream artists. I really miss those days! One of the reasons I felt so left out in high school is because I couldn't relate to what others were listening to since I was THAT girl who sneered at anything mainstream(foolish person I was lol). Also before my brother would become much more into that scene more than me, he would always ask for my recommendations. 😀

A number of these are recent discoveries while others are rediscoveries(Read: Songs I loved but became much more obsessed with recently). So here is a list of songs, bands, artists and even an album I'm currently loving.

1. Twin Fix

Picture courtesy of their facebook page.

One listen to "True" and you'd wonder why can't they get more love in the OPM scene. I think this up and coming duo is amazing! "True" is the first track of theirs I first listened and I instantly became hooked. "Never Better" gives off San Cisco meets Oh Flamingo edge while still retaining a sort of Summer Salt, surf music vibe. They haven't released that much tracks but do check out their Soundcloud here! Can't wait for them to release their new track "All this Time"!

2. "You've Got Me" by Alex Napping


Now, it took me a while before I found this song. After numerous times of searching its chorus online, I FINALLY FOUND IT. I swear, the chorus is so fun and catchy. The song retains a little The Raveonettes meets Superhumanoids sound but at the same time it is just so different. You'd wonder that you heard their music somewhere but nope, maybe it's only in your dreams.

3. Banna Harbera



First time I knew about them and watched them live was last month. BOY, I IMMEDIATELY LOVED THEIR MUSIC. What was also funny was a few days after I first watched them live, they performed in DLSU for MalayaxDLSU. Siyempre, nanood ako kasi fan na si lola mo! I especially loved this cover of "Distance" by Emily King but they have equally amazing originals, too! I highly recommend "We'll Be Fine" and "Sorrys and Goodbyes" but all of the songs in both their EPs are amazing. 

4. Sandwich - Masilungan




Fact: One of my favorite words in Filipino is actually "silong" which means to take shelter especially from the rain. This is one of Sandwich's older songs and I rediscovered it recently. For me, the instruments to this is actually the best Sandwich has ever sounded. While I love Sandwich and their more upbeat, aggressive rhythms, their more chill ones such as this and "Selos" will always be my favorites.

5. Miami Horror



I wish I learned about them sooner: I always love  great 80s-early 90s inspired music! The song that got me really addicted to them is "Real Slow" which sounds like the perfect weekend song! "Love Like Mine" (above) actually reminds me of the type of stuff Penguin Prison(another more contemporary band that makes similar sounding music)makes and legit reminds me of Indian Summer's "King of Wishful thinking" in some weird way.

6. Rex Orange County - Sunflower



I still can't believe this dude is only 19. Probably this is my main LSS atm and I cannot stress how much this song sounds so fun. I can't help sometimes but bop to it like how he does in the music video lol

7. Tennis - Born to be Needed



One of my favorite artists is definitely Tennis although anything she released after her album "Ritual in Repeat" I wasn't too fond of but hence, I still love Tennis(All her earlier albums are awesome stuff that I still listen a lot). This year though has been different and they have been releasing newer music. Heck only a few days ago, they uploaded three new songs on their Youtube channel! My current fave? "Born to be Needed" is la-la-looooove.

8. Duran Duran - Girls on Film/The Reflex


If you knew me, you would know how much I love music from the 80s(and any past decade, rather)and listen to so much on the loop. I remember before, I really loved Duran Duran and other 80s, New Wave bands. How did I suddenly hear "Girls on Film"? Well I heard it from Stranger Things 2 and I would recognize Duran Duran anywhere. Recently though, I'd listen to that and "The Reflex" repeatedly. I think it was the latter that was the first song I heard of the band when I was young. It still sounds so good to me! Even the music video to this makes me wish I could watch them live during the 80s.

9. Garbage


Probably the nth story of rediscovery here on this list. When I was around 6-7 years old, I used to hear "Cherry Lips" all the time in my school bus. I recently rediscovered it again and their other music, which I eventually found other songs I loved as a kid such as "Androgyny" and "I Think I'm Paranoid". I realize Garbage is probably my favorite nineties and noughties band I never knew I loved and omg, Shirley Manson suddenly is my new girl icon.

10. Fazerdaze - Morningside



If there is a new album I'll recommend, it's definitely Fazerdaze's debut album "Morningside." It's the perfect chill yet upbeat album that is a must listen--I'm definitely addicted to it! "Little Uneasy" is my personal favorite(and how I have so much hugots with the lyrics chos). ❤

You Might Also Like

0 comments